I always believed I needed that first cup of coffee or tea to get me going. But this quarantine period has been quite enlightening; I learned that I didn’t need the caffeine after all!
This drink is very common in South Asian households – that’s cause it’s basically watered-down plain yogurt. We can drink it as is, without any garnishing, or add some herbs and spices to it. I like mine with garlic and cumin.
Take 2 cups of yogurt. You can use any plain yogurt. I have once again started making my own yogurt, thank you quarantine!
Add 2 cups of water to it, and mix it up well by running an immersion blender through it. Next, add 1/2 tsp cumin powder to it.
Now add 1/2 tsp grated garlic.
[Below, is an image of fresh garlic that I’m growing. But when I don’t have that, I grate store-bought garlic & use it.]
And that’s it. Just give it a good stir, pour it in a glass, and enjoy!
I drink this every morning and also after my daily 42-minute run on my treadmill. It’s cooling, refreshing, and fat-free!
It’s believed that this yogurt drink has many benefits – it…
- combats dehydration and fatigue
- soothes the stomach & reduces irritation in the stomach lining (from acid reflux)
- improves or aids in digestion
- helps wash down fat molecules (makes the stomach feel lighter after a heavy meal)
- provides calcium without adverse effects for those who are lactose-intolerant
- is believed to be a great source of vitamins
- is believed to be rich in bioactive protein (which has cholesterol-lowering & antiviral properties)
P.S. I’m not a medical professional. My recommendations are based on research, my own lifestyle, and learnings from my south asian upbringing.