This quarantine period means a lot of cooking is happening, hopefully, you’ve seen all my food blogs. And so of course, a lot of cooking also could mean a lot of eating. And being homebound also means more frequent happy hours, lol. However, rather than piling on the pounds, I’ve stayed on course on my weight loss journey.
For me, eating one small serving of whatever I want, once a day, has worked best for me. And my most important learning has been that it doesn’t matter what I eat, it’s how much I eat that makes a difference on the scale the next morning.
I’ve lost three pounds in 40 days. It doesn’t sound like a lot but my weight-loss goals are not very aggressive. I only wish to lose ~7-8 pounds overall.
I’m sharing it here in the hopes that you will benefit from it, and be motivated to use it in your own weight-loss journey.
MY WEEK ONE & TWO SAMPLE MEAL PLAN
Breakfast [all three of the following]
- 1 cup Coffee or 2 cups Indian Chai [chai masala recipe here]
- 1 cup Yogurt drink (recipe here)
- 1 cup parsley and cucumber juice [recipe here]
Lunch – [one small serving of one the following]
- 1 cup any vegetable soup [cabbage soup recipe here]
- 1 cup salad [quinoa recipe here]
- Lettuce wraps or stirfry [lettuce wrap recipe here]
I make different soups and salads depending on my mood and the availability of ingredients – but always try to add some beans to it for the extra boost of protein I need.
Mid-day or Happy Hour Snack – [one small serving of one the following]
- 1/2 cup nuts [cashews or pistachios]
- a bowl of plain yogurt
- sautéed vegetables in oil and garlic [such as broccoli & zucchini]
Dinner – [one serving of one the following]
- 1 cup penne pasta with broccoli & zucchini
- 2 vegetable fajitas or tacos or bean and cheese enchiladas
- 2 slices of homemade thin & crispy vegetarian pizza
- 1 grilled cheese & vegetable sandwich w/1/4 cup potato chips
- One serving of Indian food du jour
HAPPY HOUR DRINKS
I’m really a lightweight when it comes to drinking. So although I love mixing up cocktails and coming up with some unique combinations, I rarely indulge in more than two, and most times am done after one. My favorites are shown below.
MY WEEKLY EXERCISE ROUTINE
- 5 times a week, 42 minutes on the treadmill, following a modified, low impact HIIT [high-intensity interval training]
- 2 times a week, 30-35 minutes freestyle weight lifting
WEEK THREE AND FOUR
For weeks three and four, I had my breakfast drinks but skipped my lunch and midday snacks, and only ate dinner. That’s right, I ate only once a day. I’ve never been a junk food eater so that always helps when trying to lose weight. And although I have sweet “teeth”, not just a sweet tooth, lol, I didn’t eat any desserts after the 1st three days in quarantine.
I did a modified version of intermittent fasting twice during the 40 days – meaning I only ate a bowl of soup for dinner.
I lost three pounds in 40 days and now I’m ~ 4-5 pounds from my “desired ideal” weight.
- I’m not a medical professional and I don’t advocate drinking alcohol.
- Also, I’m a vegetarian and so I follow a plant-based diet only.